Smooth-Cast® ONYX™ is a mercury-free urethane resin that cures at room temperature to a deep black, solid plastic. Easy to mix and pour, these resins offer the convenience of a one to one mix ratio (one Part A to one Part B by volume) and have very low viscosities. ONYX resins have an ultimate Shore hardness of 80D and offer higher physical properties and higher heat resistance verse other general purpose resins.
ONYX resins are available in 2 speeds, ONYX™ FAST and ONYX™ SLOW. ONYX FAST resin has a pot life of 2.5 minutes and a cure time of 10-15 minutes, while ONYX SLOW has a pot life of 5 minutes and a cure time of 90 minutes.
Advantages that ONYX resins offer over other resins:
- If you desire a black casting, adding colour pigment is not necessary.
- Cured plastic is ultra-black and darker than competitive black resins.
- Cured ONYX plastic can be polished and buffed to a high gloss shine
- ONYX offers higher heat resistance vs. competitive black resins
- Unlike other black resins, ONYX does not contain mercury
- ONYX is less expensive vs. other black resins.
Applications include reproducing sculpture, making prototypes and potting/encapsulation. Due to its quick cure time and hardness, ONYX FAST is a good choice for creating fast cold cast bronze, brass, copper, nickel/silver effects.
How does it work? Watch 1-Minute video
- - 15 minute demould time
- - 90 minute demould time
|Product Name||Pot Life||Demould Time||Net Weight|
|Smooth-Cast ONYX FAST (Gallon Unit)||2.5 minutes||10-15 minutes||7.4 Kg|
|Smooth-Cast ONYX FAST (Trial Unit)||2.5 minutes||10-15 minutes||0.99 Kg|
|Smooth-Cast ONYX SLOW (Gallon Unit)||5 minutes||90 minutes||7.4 Kg|
|Smooth-Cast ONYX SLOW (Trial Unit)||5 minutes||90 minutes||0.99 Kg|